Saturday, October 2, 2010

Relativity Exhibit November 4th - 20th


It's been a pretty long time since I've last posted a blog. I guess I've been keeping busy.

Well, I have something to blog about, so here goes:

Our little company, FrogFaith Media Group, is partnering up with the classy, AM Living, in downtown Portland for an exhibit this November. We're calling it the "Relativity Exhibit". Tab and I are showing a new collection of work in AM's beautiful showroom. My collection is "Here and Now". I have a series of Math and Science scratch board etchings (many of which you have seen, but a few that you have not), as well as the continuation of my Perpetual Motion series on time and living in the present. The new "Evening" series focuses on moments to cherish once the sun sets and ranges from 6pm - 6am. I will be showing a collection from this unfinished series. All but one of these pieces will be revealed for the first time at the exhibit.

There will, of course, be a wide selection of prints, and the possibility of some special limited editions.

The Math and Science series has become a new fascination with me. My aim is to capture beautiful or amazing aspects of our world (and possibly beyond), and draw them with the information that makes them function in such awesome ways. It's like pulling back the first layer, and seeing all the glorious information teaming beneath. Reason, patterns, numbers unfolding into the beautiful images that fill our lives.

For each piece, I do hours, days or weeks worth of research, and while much of it is based on subjects I had at least a loose understanding and interest in, much of it is new for me, and has allowed me to continue learning and pushing myself forward. As an artist, I'm sure you can understand that I am not predisposed to Math and Science. Conceptually, sure, but we artists have rarely been associated with left brain thinking. That doesn't mean I have to like it, and it doesn't mean I have to stick with it.

This world is fascinating, and every time I learn more about it, I am pushed on to learn more.... also it does have the dull effect of realizing just how little I know now, knowing that there's so much to learn. Research Scientists, Physicists and Mathematicians are constantly redefining their field and data and seem to be skimming the surface of the full range of what's going on in this complicated universe. Given that, it's obvious that I have light years to go.

But the process is wonderful in itself. I am often eager to draw, feeling that compulsive need to put "pen to paper" (often an obsessive need that's hard to ignore), and I find myself having to reign myself in and finish researching first, but I enjoy it just as much.

I've become a Documentary Junky.
I'm pretty busy with our little company, printing, market and drawing new pieces, so I don't have as much time as I'd like to research, but I get it in as much as possible, and when I don't have time, I find I miss it.

Oh right, news. I should back to talking about the show.

Tab, my wonderfully talented husband, is creating a series specially for the show. His series is called "Far and Away", and centers around his fictional company "Watson Positronics" and it's new Luxury Space Ship, Phaeton One, on a trip through space. He's creating this in Blender (always open source), and will be showing a collection of these pieces at the show.

We will have live music, wine, cocktails and prints. It should be a lot of fun and we're excited to show the new work.

The pertinant dates and info are below.

Come see us November 4th - 20th at AM Living in the Galleria!

600 SW 10th Ave and Morrison
Portland, OR


Soft Opening: Thursday, November 4th, 7pm - 11pm
GRAND OPENING: Saturday, November 6th, 7pm - 11pm
*This is the day we are revealing all the new work*
Live music by Cassia DeMayo
Special Event: Saturday,November 13th, 7pm - 11pm
Closing Gala:Saturday, November 20th, 7pm - 11pm
*Live Music by Trashcan Joe *


No comments: